Max in Haiti

You want me to go where?

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Zanzibar (suite et fin)

Internet access in Z’bar being at best sporadic, I have to update you about the trip from the comfort of a borrowed office in DC.

As the last post presaged, the week in Zanzibar turned out to be an awesome experience all the way through -- well save from a bout with a stomach parasite that I hope I have not unleashed, Alien-style, on the Western world.

Most of my time at the hotel was spent in meetings where I met colleagues from the US, Africa and India. The sessions took most of the day and allowed me to figure out in a bit more detail what the hell I am supposed to do in Haiti. Much to my disappointment, it seems to involve quite a bit of hard work and precious little general lounging about on desert beaches.


In the evenings, expeditions were made to Stone Town and its intriguing nightlife. One of the highlights was heading to the waterfront where dozens of street food stands are erected and locals grill anything from prawns to liver right in front of you. Cost of a full meal (meat, fries and some of the best naan-style bread I’ve ever had): $1.


When staying at the hotel, we could always walk on the beach and take a look at the activities of the fishermen and look at the ridiculously beautiful sunsets. Also, a good bit of Tusker beer was consumed.




On Friday, a few of us hit the local bars, starting with what I took to be a student hang-out, an old, worn-out joint devoid of fans or mosquito screens, but home to a busted pool table where I got creamed by the local champion who celebrated each victory by performing the splits. We went from there to an open-air disco a bit away from the center of town. There again, pool was the most popular activity as dancing, we were told, would not start until morning neared.


The following day, our only full free one of the stay, seven of us headed to the northernmost point of the

island and a beach called Kizim-Kossum (or something like it) from where we boarded boats taking us to swim with wild dolphins. This actually happened, although I was a bit miffed that none would let me ride them like this guy:












And that’s pretty much it. The next day I left for the long trek back to DC, getting the chance to snap some pretty lucky pictures of Mt. Kilimanjaro at sunset along the way. Thirty-eight hours later, I was back in Adams Morgan for a few days of work at HQ and the chance to go home for Thanksgiving. Next post: finding a place to live in Haiti.



1 Comments:

Blogger Guillaume said...

Enoorem la photo du gars qui saute dans la piscine

La bise

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Site Counter